Monday 2 September 2013

What Interests Me?

Brief:

Good design begins with a good understanding of a subject. With that in mind, you will prepare a body of research over the summer that you will present to the class in a workshop at the start of the academic year. You will also need to show your research on your blog. Initially, you will research into three things that interest you that are appropriate to graphic 

design – a hobby/interest, an invention/discovery and a person/place. You may choose to research into three ideas from one of these categories (for example, three hobbies), or you may choose to research into an idea from each category. This initial list of three will then focus your research down into one thing that really interests you, and that one thing will be what your presentation is about. Whatever you choose to focus on, we want to know everything about it – facts, history, why you think your subject is interesting and what other target audiences exist for it. Make your presentation interesting visually; if it helps to bring in physical examples or items to help your presentation, please make sure you do so.



Initial Ideas

Finland - Place
I have been to several places in Scandinavia, such as Norway, Denmark, Sweden and Finland and I really want to go back. I want to research into Finland because I want to know more about what its like to live there and what kind of design there as I'd like to go and work there. Finland was the place that stood out most to me when I went to Scandinavia.

Web Design - Interest
At first I was debating whether I wanted to look at Layout, Editorial or Layout in Editorial and Web, but I have decided to look at Web Design as it's something I've become interested in recently and want to know more about. I want to focus on actual designs, rather than the development, as that is a whole subject in itself. I think this will help me know how to create better designs for web which is why I want to research into it.

Zoos - Place
I love zoos and aquariums so I wanted to research this as I find it interesting. I thought there's a lot of that could be related to graphic design as I could look at signage, websites and information graphics. However, I don't know if there is a lot of scope for this other than information and way-finding, which is one of the areas I am least interested in so I might not look at this one.

Antoni Gaudi - Invention
I also wanted to research one of Gaudi's works because I love his architecture and his use of colour, shape and texture can be used to Graphic Design. I am also going to Barcelona in Summer so it will give me a chance to look at it closely and see what I want to look at, as I am visiting four of his works: Sagrada Familia; Casa Batllo; Casa Mila and Park Guell.

No comments:

Post a Comment